SUPERVISOR: Senior Research Administrator
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) pioneers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. Our scientists explore dynamic ocean systems from marine life to environmental conditions to coastal economies. We infuse our discoveries into the policy arena and design solutions with fishermen and seafood business to protect fishery resources, harvest them responsibly, and market them as premium quality food. We share our discoveries with the public and nurture a culture of leadership in communities that depend on the sea. Our education programs cultivate science literacy and build a foundation of collaborative problem-solving among our next generation of leaders, scientists, citizens, and stewards. Each year, we serve over 25,000 stakeholders from Cape Cod to Nova Scotia.
GMRI currently has a team of seven research scientists with expertise in fisheries ecology, biological oceanography, ecosystem modeling, fish behavior, resource economics, and ocean data products. The Department Coordinator is responsible for supporting the administration of the department, and working with the entire Research team to assure smooth and efficient daily operations. This is a part-time position, anticipated at 24 hours per week.
The Department Coordinator provides administrative assistance and support to the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO), Senior Research Administrator, and the Research team. Duties include:
- Assist with CSO’s schedule and travel, preparation of documents, Board materials, and other internal & external communications, as requested;
- Coordinate annual board budget process for Research Department, in conjunction with Senior Research Administrator;
- Support Senior Research Administrator in the preparation and submission of federal grant proposals on behalf of GMRI investigators.
- Assist CSO and Research team in navigating, locating, and understanding project and financial information in FE (Financial Edge) and ABM (Advanced Budget Module). Run monthly financial reports for department; Provide Researchers with project financial statements, and other project financial data as requested. Advise scientists on funding status, salary guarantees, surplus accounts, time and effort reporting, and project financial planning.
- Coordinate/assist with Research staff meetings and events, take meeting minutes, prepare monthly communication summaries of research activity, field public inquiries to GMRI Research;
- Support GMRI summer internship program planning, coordinate with GMRI Internship Program Coordinator on research intern positions, selection process, timelines and paperwork, space/training requirements.
Other General Responsibilities
- Assist with purchasing, as requested (Lab supply orders, payments and project expenses). Coordinate with Accounts Payable to complete or resolve payment transactions and documentation;
- Provide scheduling and logistical support (travel arrangements, rental cars, hotel accommodations, as needed/requested);
- Make meeting arrangements, conferencing technology set-up, and coordination with Facilities staff on after-hours events;
- Collaboration with other GMRI administrators on organization-wide topics, and participation in all-staff meetings and events.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Administrative experience - organizing, office systems, department/group support;
- Financial experience, including exposure to accounting software, project budgeting.
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in a non-profit, grant-funded setting;
- Experience working with research teams and science programs.
To apply for this position CLICK HERE to submit cover letter and resume. Note that you will be navigating away from the GMRI website. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Questions should be referred to email@example.com. However, we will not accept resumes sent to this address. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
We are proud to confirm our long-standing policy and commitment to providing equal access and equal employment opportunities in all terms, conditions, processes and benefits of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. Our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Applicants and employees are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender, disability status and veteran status to assist us in fulfilling various data reporting requirements of the federal government. This self-identification is completely voluntary, will be kept strictly confidential and separate from your application data, and used only to meet federal reporting requirements. Providing or declining to provide this information will not result in adverse action of any kind.