GMRI Educator Camp10 AM–2 PM | Ecology School | Public
Join us to experience a range of GMRI education programs and bring resources back to your classroom to support STEM learning
Join us for GMRI Educator Camp at the Ecology School and participate in data rich, climate focused, locally relevant learning that you can bring to your students through GMRI’s education programs. Over the course of three days, we will learn about local impacts of climate change, collect and analyze ecosystem data, and share observations and questions as we experience and reflect on GMRI’s LabVenture, Findings from the Field, Community Science programs. Participants will choose from a variety of offerings including intertidal investigations, LabVenture at the GMRI lab, developing questions from scientific observations, and more. Taking advantage of the Ecology School's beautiful campus, participants will have opportunities to reflect, plan, relax, and get inspiration from classroom-ready resources, peers, and their surroundings.
Teachers can expect to leave with:
- Background information on impacts of climate change to local ecosystems
- Pre and post activities for 5th and 6th grade classrooms participating in LabVenture*
- Resources to engage students in current and local research through community science
- Classroom activities to explore and analyze local climate and ecosystem data
- Supports for developing scientific observation and communication skills
- Connections to GMRI staff and educators from across the region
The workshop will run tentatively from 10:00 am Monday to 2:00 pm Wednesday and will include transportation to our lab and field sites on Tuesday. Meals will be provided, along with $225 stipend (for full participation) and mileage reimbursements. Lodging will be available in the dorms (dual occupancy).
*The LabVenture program is available at no cost to 5th OR 6th grade in Maine depending on your district