Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested®
Promoting the sustainability of Gulf of Maine fisheries and locally harvested seafood.
The Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested® label is a promise that seafood hails from the clean, cool waters of the Gulf of Maine and the fishery or farm is managed in a way that contributes to the long-term health of the resource. The label empowers consumers to buy seafood they can feel good about.
A closer look at the Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested label
From our species verification process, to partnering with licensed suppliers and celebrating our affiliates, explore the pages below to learn more about how the label supports local, sustainable seafood.
Verifying Responsible Harvest
The Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested label highlights seafood that meets important criteria around responsible harvest. To verify a species, GMRI develops assessment reports with …
Tracing Seafood Back to the Gulf of Maine
GMRI works directly with seafood suppliers in the middle of the supply chain, collecting third party traceability information and licensing suppliers to use the Gulf …
Finding Responsibly Harvested Seafood Near You
GMRI is proud to have a range of retailers, universities, schools, hospitals, and corporate dining facilities participating in the Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested program. …
What does the Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested label mean?
- The product hails from the clean, productive waters of the Gulf of Maine region, spanning from Nova Scotia to Cape Cod.
- The fishery or farm is managed in a way that contributes to the long-term health of the resource.
- Suppliers of Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested product commit to continuously improving the sustainability of the seafood industry.
We need to level the playing field in the massive global seafood marketplace. Many people care about maintaining working waterfronts in this region long into the future, and the region’s industry should be rewarded when seafood is responsibly harvested and traceable. Consumers want to support our region’s seafood industry and they cannot do so unless they can make an informed choice. The Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested label provides a way for consumers to identify and buy seafood they can feel good about. Whether you are a business in the middle of the supply chain or selling seafood directly to consumers, the Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested label will add value to your business while promoting long-term economic and ecological sustainability for the region’s seafood industry.
- Achieve an economically and ecologically thriving seafood industry in the Gulf of Maine.
- Empower consumers to eat seafood they can feel good about.
- Give credit to seafood and fishing industries for the hard work it takes to abide by strict regulations.
- Highlight businesses that commit to continually improving the sustainability of their operations.
- Develop a community businesses proud to be sourcing under Gulf of Maine Responsibly Harvested seafood.
Benefits of participation
- Add value by providing transparent information about your Gulf of Maine seafood products.
- Receive an objective and credible third-party verification for responsible harvest.
- Differentiate your business, maintain market space, and increase demand for Gulf of Maine seafood.
- Access science-based, consumer-friendly information on verified species.
- Access digital assets and assistance in developing point-of-sale materials.
- Receive promotion from GMRI via social media, website, speaking engagements, press, and general outreach.
- Include your partnership with our program on the FishChoice website, alerting a community of 4,000 seafood professionals to the added value your business offers.